Snowmen You Can Eat!
Here is a fun and edible snowman craft to make with your little ones when you can’t make it outside to build a real one! These tasty treats can be added to hot chocolate or consumed all on their own. While constructing your snowman you can work on counting, identifying shapes and colors, labeling body parts as well as following directions while preparing your snack.
Before getting started you will need the following:
- Pretzel sticks
- Candy corn
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Extra-long toothpicks (4 inches)
- Slide three marshmallows on the toothpick (or pretzel) to create a snowman, then use scissors to clip off the pointy end of the toothpick.
- Use the toothpick to poke holes for the arms, legs, buttons, and nose, and then push pretzels and candy corn in the snowman. Push chocolate chips into holes for buttons.
- Place a handful of mini chocolate chips in a sandwich baggie and melt in your microwave (start with 30-second intervals).
- Cut off a tiny corner of the baggie and “pipe” the chocolate out onto snowmen to draw eyes and mouth. Additional holes could be made for the eyes and mouth using toothpicks and chocolate chips as an alternative to melting chocolate.
- Make sure to let kids know that there is a toothpick inside that needs to be removed before eating.
- Add to hot chocolate or eat alone!
Not only is this treat delicious but it can also make learning fun! While putting your edible snowman together have your child:
- Count certain amounts of items from larger groups.
- Label and identify parts of the snowman’s body as well as their own.
- Follow directions to completing to activity and crossing off steps as you go.
- Label and identify shapes and colors of ingredients.