Dr. Erin H, OTD, OTR/L, ASDCS
Clinic Director, Occupational Therapist
Blue Bird Day Employee Since 2013
Doctor of Occupational Therapy,
Washington University in St. Louis
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology,
Credentials and Certification
- Licensed and Registered Occupational Therapist
- Certified in Nonviolent Crisis Prevention Intervention
- Certified in CPR and First Aid
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinical Specialist
- Therapeutic Use of Self and the Intentional Relationship Model
- Sensory Integration
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Yoga for Special Child
- Infant Massage
I always knew I wanted to work with children but did not know in what capacity. I always assumed I would be a teacher, or perhaps a child psychologist. I did not learn about occupational therapy until after graduating college. I was working as a behavior technician and helping transition a young boy with autism to kindergarten. Twice a week he received OT and I could not believe how different he was in those sessions! He was focused, engaged, and loved attending therapy. I fell in love with the profession, as it combined all my interests in one fascinating career. I chose to attend graduate school at Washington University in St. Louis and focused my research on early indicators of autism during infancy. I have worked with children of all ages, from early intervention through early adulthood. I love working with the preschool and kindergarten ages and seeing the amazing progress they make, knowing we are changing the trajectory of their lives in a profound and positive way. I have been working with individuals with autism for over 20 years now and look forward to what I’ll learn in the next 20!
My Blue Bird Day
I of course love seeing the changes that our children experience as they progress through the program, but it’s been amazing to see how family dynamics change over time as well. Nothing warms my heart more than hearing about our kids having play dates with each other! It’s incredible to hear parents talk about finally being able to participate in activities so many of us take for granted, such as vacations and community outings, that they were unable to do with their child before starting our program.
My Blue Bird Day Goals
- To ensure all children have access to high quality therapy from the best pediatric therapists.
- To continue to build my management and leadership skills to best support my clinical and administrative teams.
- To continue to learn from the latest research to ensure Blue Bird Day is always providing cutting-edge, evidence-based care.
Thank you for bringing a fresh perspective this week to our team!
Thank you for all of your amazing leadership! It has been a crazy few weeks but your hard work is noticed and appreciated! You’re AWESOME!!